
As we sat beside each other at the table at Fleming's to celebrate I asked my husband, "If you could go back in time two years and give yourself advice about our marriage, what would it be?"

At this juncture, I feel I should inform you that our two-year marriage includes, but is not limited to (that's right, I just took the bar; again.): a law degree, three pets, a cross-country move, two bar exams, the MCAT's, medical school applications/interviews, job applications/interviews, decorating, redecorating, twelve major holidays + travel time to be with family/guilt for not traveling to be with family, as well as all the normal new-married- stuff...
He tilted his head slightly while drumming his fingers on the table and staring off into space, as he is wont to do while contemplating which Red Sox player will be on the DL next, how long are he'll be out for, and whether the Red Sox have any hope of making the play-offs without him.
So I was pretty sure I'd lost him.
But after a moment he said, "I'd tell me: 'Sometimes, you just gotta be the kite-holder.'"
I'd summarize the rest of the conversation, but it just wouldn't convey. So here it is verbatim:
Me: "What?"
Tony: "The kite-holder. The one standing there, on the ground, holding the reel of the kite."

Me: "...why?"
Tony: "Because I didn't know it when we got married, but that's my job sometimes: just stand there and hold on. I reel you in when you get a little too high or when you're going a little too crazy; but basically I just stand there, hold on, and enjoy it. I may not understand what's going on or what's going to happen next, but it's always a hell of a lot of fun and I'm always glad I'm there."
Now that may have been a description of just me (a much more insightful description than I would normally be willing to share online were it not so brilliant) but, from all my two-years of experience, I can't think of a better way to describe marriage.We don't always understand what's going on
or what's going to happen next,
but it is a lot of fun
and,
at least when it comes to being married to Tony,
I'm always glad I'm there.